Here are 10 reasons why you should allow your dog to play with other dogs.
1. According to Dr. Michael Fox, puppies that play more grow up to be “more intelligent and highly evolved.”
2. Dogs who don’t play with other dogs as puppies can grow up to be fearful or aggressive toward other dogs.
3. Play teaches inventiveness and problem solving.
4. Play deflects natural aggression and teaches cooperative behavior.
5. Puppies learn how to inhibit their bite when playing with other pups and that’s good news for us.
6. It’s a very easy way for you to exercise your dog. Your dog will be tired and a tired dog is a good dog.
7. Dogs are naturally social creatures who crave the attention of humans AND the companionship of other canines.
8. Play is a lifelong activity for dogs, especially when fostered early. Adult wolves do play and we have exaggerated this behavior even more in our pet dogs. (The Dog’s Mind, Bruce Fogle, 1990)
9. Dog runs and the parks are a wonderful way for us humans to meet each other and talk dog.
10. Watching dogs play is just plain fun.