From Wags to Whiskers, Inc. provides quality care of pets in the comfort, safety, and familiar environment of their own homes. At the same time, we provide additional home services such as watering plants, bringing in mail/newspaper, rotating lights for security, taking garbage/recycling to the curb, etc.
Make some extra money doing what you love – spending time with animals! Having been in business since 2004, our business is booming and we are seeking new team members. This is a wonderful opportunity for former nurses, vet techs and active retirees.
Our ideal pet care professional is the type of person who stops random dogs while walking in the park to say hello or someone who could spend hours happily cuddling and playing with kitties. Our reputation is on the line, so we are looking for the best of the best to join our team!
By joining our team you will be working as an employee of our company, bonded and insured through our company. This is NOT an independent contractor position.
You MUST LIVE in Virginia Beach to apply for this position. We provide services to homes in the following zip code areas: 23451, 23452, 23453, 23454, 23455, 23456, 23462 and 23464.
Only apply when you know you can commit for at least 6 months. No summer or holiday jobs available.
What’s in it for you?
- Have a fun and rewarding job.
- Wear comfy clothes all the time.
- Have a flexible schedule.
- Enjoy exploring outdoors while your friends are sitting in cubicles.
- Make lots of new furry friends along the way.
- Brag to your human friends and family about your amazing job
To join our team, you must be:
- A highly motivated professional over 21 years of age
- Available nights, some weekends and some holidays to apply for this position.
- Available from 7 am – 10 pm. Most of the sits will be 7 am – 9 pm however there may be instances where the homeowner would like you to visit at different times.
- Willing to function in not only a team but also an individual environment.
- Extremely detail oriented!
- Able to complete all steps in the application process including passing a criminal background check
Additional Requirements and Qualifications
- Must have a car, auto insurance, and a clean MVR.
- You must have a cell phone with text message capability
- Must be extremely detail oriented.
- Must be able to follow instructions.
- Must be responsible, reliable, and dependable.
- Efficient time management skills a must.
- Must be able to self-manage.
- You must respect client confidentiality.
- You must have a deep love of animals to apply for this position.
- You must be able to walk dogs on the appropriate or designated leash.
- Must feel comfortable working with and interacting with both small and large animals; prior animal training or behavior training a plus
- You must possess the ability to take detailed notes and communicate effectively in both written and oral form.
- Must be comfortable using a computer to access your schedule and have a personal email account you can access daily.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a description of your animal experience, when you would be available to work and the zip code of where you reside. If we are interested, we will email you more details about the job and an application.
No phone calls please!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you offer full-time employment, 40 hours per week?
No we do not. Please do not apply if you are looking for full-time employment. All our work is on an as needed basis.
Should this job be considered as primary income?
No, this job is best suited for someone just wanting to supplement their income.
How far will I be driving?
We expect that you will be able to reach a client home on average within 10-20 minutes of your home.
How long are the visits you offer clients?
Visits are about 30 minutes depending on the pet and the client needs.
Who tells me what time I must be at the home for the pet visits?
We ask clients to provide us a two-hour service window with the middle time point being the most desirable time. You will be given a seven-day schedule with specific visit times.
Will I always be busy?
No. There will be some weeks when you are quite busy, other times will be very quiet and you will have a lot more free time. Our peak periods are during spring break, summer months, and the holidays.
Can I accept or decline an assignment?
You may accept or decline assignments outside of your usual availability hours, discussed at time of employment. You are expected to accept all assignments during availability hours.
What if I become ill or have an emergency?
While we do our best to cover in cases of true emergencies, this is not a job where “calling in sick” is easily tolerated. The pets in your care depend on you to complete your assignments, and ONE no-call, no-show is cause for immediate termination. It’s important to note that pets and their owners become attached to the primary sitter. It is not our policy to rotate sitters in and out of a home. In the event of illness or an emergency, contact the office immediately.
Can I have someone accompany me on any of my pet visits?
No. Only you are insured and contracted by the client to enter their home, therefore only you are allowed in the homes. Adults, children and other pets ARE NOT permitted to enter homes due to safety and liability issues. Adults can ride along with you as long as they stay outside the home. We never know how a pet will react to a child or another adult they do not know.
Will I be paid by the hour?
No. You are paid a fee per completed visit, on a bi-weekly basis.
Is Pet Sitting Right for You?
- Do you love animals and enjoy spending a lot of time with them?
- Do you have considerable experience with pets?
- Are you knowledgeable when it comes to pet care and behavior, and are interested in learning more?
- Are you able to maintain a high degree of patience with pets—even difficult, poorly trained ones?
- Are you able to deal with aggressive posturing of insecure dogs or cats?
- Are you very nurturing, yet able to take charge when necessary?
- Do you stay calm during unexpected difficulties?
- Are you very honest and trustworthy?
- Are you organized?
- Are you self-motivated?
- Are you good at time management and keeping a schedule?
- Are you extremely reliable and able to consistently make appointments in a timely fashion?
- Can you handle abrupt changes in your planned schedule?
- Are you familiar enough with the area that you can take alternate routes to your destination?
Unless you can answer YES to all these questions, pet sitting may not be the right job for you.
For an employment packet, please send an e-mail to: Jobs@LifeWithDogs.us. In your e-mail, include:
- your hours of availability
- your animal experience
- your residential zipcode
- your experience giving medications and any other information that would be helpful in considering you
Please be sure to read the application and fill it out completely (handwritten). Please mail it back or scan it and email it back to us.
All applicants are subject to a background check.